The stock market infrastructure development in formation of the investment bank business model in Ukraine
Introduction. Modern trends in the world economy development cause an objective process of increasing stock market role and stimulate forming of investment bank business model in the domestic financial markets.
Aim and tasks. The aim is to determine the role of the stock market infrastructure development in formation of the investment bank business model in Ukraine. It is necessary to perform the following tasks to achieve this goal: to determinate direction of Ukrainian financial market development and to analyze dynamic of the structure of loan and investment bank portfolio in last five years which allow to evaluate forming of the investment bank business model in Ukraine; to estimate the stock market infrastructure development through its participants.
Results. The analysis of the loan and investment bank portfolio structure has shown rising of banks’ interest to the operations in the stock market and forming of the investment bank business model in Ukraine. But the structure of the investment portfolio of Ukrainian banks is dominated by domestic government bonds. The main reasons of such investment structure: the low total trading volume in the stock market; the absence of other financial instruments in the stock market; the low level of stock market development through the need to form stock market infrastructure. Studying the stock market infrastructure essence has substantiated the using of institutional approach to identify the level of its development. To the infrastructure participants in the stock market it is carried out organization of trade in financial instruments, clearing institutions, depository system, information, analytical and rating agencies. The infrastructural participants of the stock market in Ukraine has been characterized and analyzed.
Conclusions. The Ukrainian stock market infrastructure is actively developing in the direction of creating conditions that brings it as close as possible to European and world standards. Such situation will make foundation of the investment bank business model forming. But conducted research has shown that it is necessary, on the one side, to stimulate the increase in stock trading volume and, on the other side, to make the stock market more accessible not only to investors, but to individuals too. The development of information technologies as an integral part of the stock market infrastructure in Ukraine has been worked out.
Keywords:financial market, stock market, infrastructure, bank, business model.
2. Martel, M. M., Rixtel, A. & Mota, E. G. (2012). Business models of international banks in the wake of the 2007-2009 global financial crises. Estabilidadfinancier, 22, 97-121.
3. Köhler, M. (2014). Business Models in Banking: How Did They Evolve and How Do They Need to be changed in the Post-Crisis Period? Journal of Financial Perspectives, 2 (1).
4. Arnt, H.& Pedersen, A. R. (2003). Securities Market Infrastructures. Denmark National bank Monetary Review, 37-38
5. Grishchenko, T.V.&Ivakhnenko, I.S. (2010).The role of securities market infrastructure in the formation of the financial resources. Economy and State, 7/2010, 17-20
6. Matsuk, Z. A. (2018) Architectonics of securities market infrastructure. Finance of Ukraine, 5’2018, 94-109
7. Vasiliev, O.V., & Kaidash, O.V. (2018). Segmentation of infrastructure supply of the investment market in Ukraine. Market Infrastructure, 21, 32-39
8. Schmiedel, H. (2002). Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems. Bank of Finland Discussion Papers, 26, 38
9. The World bank (2021). World Development Indicators. Retrieved from: http://databank.worldbank.org/data/
10. The National bank of Ukraine (2021).Supervisory statistics. Retrieved from: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/statistic/sector-financial/data-sector-financial#2fs
11. The National Securities and Stock Market Commission (2021). Annual reports for 2014-2019. Retrieved from: https://www.nssmc.gov.ua/documents/rtchniy-zvt-nktspfr-za2018-rk/
12. Melnyk, O. I., & Kapitan, I. M. (2019). Modern trends of stock market development in Ukraine. Effective economy, 11.
13. Moroz, A.M. & Savluk, M.I. (Eds). (2002). Banking operations. Кiev: KNEU.
14. Komarinsky, Ya. (1996). Financial & investment analysis. Ukrainian encyclopedia.
15. Radionov, Y.D. (2016). Institutional theory as a tool for budget research. Economic theory and history of economic thought, 14, 36-41.
16. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2006).On Capital Markets and Organized Commodity Markets.№ 3480-IV. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3480-15?lang=en#Text
17. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2012). On the depository system.№ 5178-VI.https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5178-17#Text
18. Settlement centre (2021). Strategy of activity of the public joint-stock company Settlement centre for servicing contracts in the financial markets for 2020-2022.Retrieved from: https://settlement.com.ua/pro-bank/disclosure.html
19. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2006). On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Concerning Simplification of Doing Business and Attracting Investments by Issuers of Securities № 2210-VII. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2210-19#Text
20. Levine, R., & Zervos, S. (1998). Stock markets, banks, and economic growth. American economic review, 537-558.
21. Shmarlovskaya, G., Nichkasova, Y., & Sadvokasova, K. (2018). Trends, problems and prospects of the IPO market development. Bulletin of the National Academy of Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 4(374), 86-98.
22. Pradhan, R. P., Mallik, G., Bagchi, T. P., & Sharma, M. (2018). Information communications technology penetration and stock markets-growth nexus: from cross country panel evidence. International Journal of Services Technology and Management, 24(4), 307-337.
23. Yemelyanova, L. (2021). Relationship between the stock market development, banking sector development and economic growth in the cee countries. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 7(3), 118-126.
24. Newton, S. (2017). The Determinants of Stock Market Development in Emerging Economies: Examining the Impact of Corporate Governance and Regulatory Reforms (II). In Value Relevance of Accounting Information in Capital Markets (pp. 126-140). IGI Global.
25. Bui, TN (2019) Stock Market Performance: Evidence from an Emerging Market. Pacific business review international, 12 (5), 15-26.
26. Saeedian, M., Jamali, T., Kamali, M. Z., Bayani, H., Yasseri, T., & Jafari, G. R. (2019). Emergence of world-stock-market network. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 526, 120792.
27. Nazarova, K., Hordopolov, V., Kopotiienko, T., Miniailo, V., Koval, V., & Diachenko, Y. (2019). Audit in the state economic security system. Management Theory and Studies for Rural Business and Infrastructure Development, 41(3), 419-430.
28. Bae, K. H., & Zhang, X. (2015). The cost of stock market integration in emerging markets. Asia‐Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, 44(1), 1-23.
29. Frijns, B., Tourani-Rad, A., & Indriawan, I. (2012). Political crises and the stock market integration of emerging markets. Journal of Banking & Finance, 36(3), 644-653.